Youth voting was on the decline. By 2020, half of young Kiwis didn’t vote at all. They felt disconnected, powerless and didn’t understand the influence they had- until we reminded them.
Our youth audience was very broad in terms of ethnicity, beliefs, social norms and barriers. One approach simply wouldn’t cut it.
Then, using Kantar research, we created 4 platforms using emotional and cognitive triggers.
- Use your voice, otherwise you’re left out of the important conversations: you’re a Vote Ghost.
- Nervous about voting? Don’t be, just go ahead and enjoy your ‘first time.’
- Think it’s all too difficult? Let the Master Voters show you how it’s done.
- It’s not the politicians who hold the power, it’s you because you vote for them.
For a country that champions democracy and fairness, New Zealand needed to make voting mean something to young voters.
Our media landscape was as diverse as our audience, resulting in over 300 pieces of bespoke, targeted content, many of which were firsts for the New Zealand Government.
The results surpassed our measures and delivered the best youth voter turn out in a decade.
- 10+ million completed video views
- 94.4% increase in enrolment
- Māori enrolment rates increased by 12.3%.
- Huge 18.8% increase in voter turnout for 18-24 year olds
- New voters 31% more likely to vote after seeing our campaign