From Cultural Clichés To Brand Authenticity
We're a leading full-service agency that creates work that lives in people’s lives. We harness creativity, technology, and culture to create connected brands that drive value for our clients and touch lives around the world. We use data and insights to reimagine what we thought we knew about the customer experience. We create work that brings our brands closer to consumers, consumers closer to communities, and communities closer to the wider world.
Passionately inventive and relentlessly curious, we strive to uncover the connection in all we do. From finding the relevance and authenticity to a brand and its consumers to connecting to them whenever, and wherever they are.
Explore our award-winning work to see how we unite people across platforms, experiences, cultures and purpose.
- During the Covid-19 lockdown in South Africa, Nando's restaurants were closed so...During the Covid-19 lockdown in South Africa, Nando's restaurants were closed so we needed to show up differently. In a dark time we brought the fire as the voice of the people through some great social tactical executions.
- In over 34 African countries, LGBTQI+ communities face discrimination and...In over 34 African countries, LGBTQI+ communities face discrimination and possible imprisonment or death, just because of their sexual orientation. We created a product ad for BOS that challenged homophobic lawmakers by using their full range of bold, colourful cans, arranged into the design of the Pride flag - creating the BOS Pride Billboard that became a symbol of hope for the LQBTQI+ rights movements in Africa.
- Trusted news causes different reactions in different people. Sometimes, we don’t...Trusted news causes different reactions in different people. Sometimes, we don’t believe it. There are times we can’t get enough of it. It may tell you what you want to hear or contradict you. We may argue over it, ignore it, doubt it or even fear it. It can also bring us hope, a sense of relief or complete and utter joy. News24 is South Africa's leading and most trusted news brand so we made a film that tells the story of a diverse South Africa brought together through stories they can trust.
- Momentum and Metropolitan are passionate about CSI, especially youth empowerment...Momentum and Metropolitan are passionate about CSI, especially youth empowerment and employment. So we created a story about the NGO Rhiza Babuyile, and the small community of Orange Farm.
- Active dogs, regardless of shape, size or athletic prowess, need a high-quality...Active dogs, regardless of shape, size or athletic prowess, need a high-quality protein diet. How better to tell a protein story that not just showed off active dogs at their best but also felt authentic too, and connected with Optimizor’s very niche, mostly-Afrikaans speaking, market than with the brand’s ambassadors; former Springboks, Victor and Bakkies.
- Treat someone who has done good by getting them a post-lockdown Nando's meal...Treat someone who has done good by getting them a post-lockdown Nando's meal voucher to redeem after lockdown and Nando's will match your voucher purchase up to 10 times, which will immediately go towards helping eradicate Covid-19 through the Solidarity Fund. Letting one act of kindness help millions.
These are the current highlights of our news and thought leadership activities.
- Do we really understand how the messages we put out there can be interpreted...Do we really understand how the messages we put out there can be interpreted, can exclude people, are open to abuse, and can do real harm? Based on Clicks' hair care advert, not always, which is why it's vital that bias awareness and ethics become an inherent part of our creative process? Head of CX, Germari Steenkamp shares 5 tips on how to create better experiences.
- Bizcommunity gives the full breakdown on what went down at the Live from The...Bizcommunity gives the full breakdown on what went down at the Live from The Edge marketing conference that presented both local and global thought leaders talking to the theme 'From Cultural Clichés to Brand Authenticity'.
- There is enormous potential for TikTok in South Africa to become the preferred...There is enormous potential for TikTok in South Africa to become the preferred platform for creative expression. It gives brands the opportunity to engage with their target audience by allowing them to create the content. Brands open to letting target markets teach them new things will see good returns; success will come when brands meet consumers where they are and, right now, a lot of them have their eyes glued to TikTok.
- Our CEO Jarred Cinman tells Bizcommunity "Everyone is ‘connecting with culture’...Our CEO Jarred Cinman tells Bizcommunity "Everyone is ‘connecting with culture’ except that most of it is appropriated, misapplied or weighed down by stereotypes. We agree that cultural relevance is key to breaking through to consumers but it only works if it’s driven by authentic insights and a sincere regard for people’s own perspectives. Our lineup of market leaders will help to map out how agencies and brands can do that."
- Bizcommunity got the full scoop from SlikourOnLife's Siya Metane about his...Bizcommunity got the full scoop from SlikourOnLife's Siya Metane about his discussion with the man behind the 100-million view Jerusalema, MasterKG, and the Pitori Maradona aka Focalistic, at Live from The Edge. "I'll be speaking to two of the biggest urban artists on a platform that they've rarely been seen on. This has to be one of the most authentic marketing moments for culture."
- Every year, Kantar celebrates South Africa’s favourite TV commercials, as voted...Every year, Kantar celebrates South Africa’s favourite TV commercials, as voted by the people of South Africa. Our campaign for Edgars, "Don't Tell Me What To Do" featuring Sho Madjozi, has made the Top 3 best-liked ads of 2019 in South Africa.
If you believe in putting everything you are into everything you do, VMLY&R might just be the perfect place for you. You’ll find our offices are spaces dedicated to small chats, big thinking, and impromptu work sessions. We encourage collaboration for new ideas and questions no one’s ever thought to ask. That’s how we keep our creative edge and consistently deliver work that lives in people's lives.
We have jobs available right now. Visit our careers page or hit the Join Us button for more information
Connecting is everything to us. So, if you have a question, concern, or something else on your mind, please get in touch – we always enjoy a good conversation.
For current news and information on Covid-19 in South Africa, visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.