We're a leading full service agency that creates purpose-driven work that lives in people’s lives. We harness creativity, technology, and culture to create connected brands that drive value for our clients and touch lives around the world. We use data and insights to reimagine what we thought we knew about the customer experience. We create work that brings our brands closer to consumers, consumers closer to communities, and communities closer to the wider world.
Passionately inventive and relentlessly curious, we strive to uncover the connection in all we do. From finding the relevance and authenticity to a brand and its consumers to connecting to them whenever, and wherever they are.
Explore our award-winning work to see how we unite people across platforms, experiences, cultures and purpose.
- Absolut Vodka ignites Africa’s creative revolution by turning the continent’s hottest artists into heroic revolutionaries with an event that became ground zero for the revolution.
- Merging the ancient Buddhist practice of sand mandalas and the science of Psychoneuroimmunology Cancer Dojo’s cancer mandalas’ intricate designs allow patients to fully immerse their minds and bodies into their own healing.
- A 90-year old department store brand struggling for relevance is transformed into a cultural catalyst for self-expression.
- Real-time data takes Nando’s social commentary out of home.
- Innovative service design to improve speed, efficiency and satisfaction for brokers at South Africa’s oldest insurance company.
- It’s your imperfections that make you perfect: your freckles, your gap, your multi-coloured eyes and your African hair. Edgars Beauty presents I’mPerfection.
If you believe in putting everything you are into everything you do, VMLY&R might just be the perfect place for you. You’ll find our offices are spaces dedicated to small chats, big thinking, and impromptu work sessions. We encourage collaboration for new ideas and questions no one’s ever thought to ask. That’s how we keep our creative edge and consistently deliver purpose-driven work that lives in people's lives.
Connecting is everything to us. So, if you have a question, concern, or something else on your mind, please get in touch – we always enjoy a good conversation.
These are the current highlights of our news and thought leadership activities.
- 21 Nov 19 - Sam Paddock is one of South Africa’s most successful entrepreneurs. A few years ago, while in his thirties, he concluded a deal to sell his business, GetSmarter, for a telephone-book-sized number. Today, he not only works with GetSmarter but continues to drive South African digital innovation in education. Jarred Cinman chats to him and Lis Lange, the University of Cape Town's deputy vice-chancellor, over lunch at a trendy restaurant for his new column in Fast Company.
- 24 Oct 19 - It’s been on Netflix for a few months now so you've probably seen the riveting “The Great Hack” documentary about Cambridge Analytica and its involvement in the 2016 US election. Most of us are aware that our favourite social media platforms are watching us. But what are they doing with all that data? Read here why Michael Pearse, our Head of Data, argues that advertisers are not Cambridge Analytica.
- 17 Oct 19 - Love him or hate him, you can’t deny that Donald Trump has made an impact on how world leaders communicate with their constituents. So the question is Presidents and social media – who does it better?
- 19 Nov 19 - The world of influencer marketing feels like a minefield at the moment. From celebrities who drag brands down with them when they behave badly to brands which have such tight control over the message that the influencer’s own creativity is hampered, it’s a massive challenge. The question Jason Khubeka keeps asking when it comes to influencer marketing is: is it worth it?
- 23 Sep 19 - Producing award-winning work can be daunting, but rewarding. This year, I had the honour of judging the Loeries Student category - which is the place students in tertiary institutions throughout Africa and the Middle East showcase their work.